Halloween is a fun time of year for children and families but it can be a scary time for our pets. During this spooktacular time of year, we need to take extra precautions so our furry friends are kept safe and healthy.

Here are some safety tips to help make sure your pets have a happy and safe Halloween.

Be Smart About Treats

Keep all Halloween candy and chocolate, including wrappers, out of your pet’s reach.

Chocolate is a very toxic product for pets as chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, as well as caffeine, and should be kept out of sight and out of reach. Dark chocolate and unsweetened, bitter chocolate are the most toxic for your pet. Signs your pet ingested chocolate can include hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, elevated or abnormal heart rates, or even seizures. If you suspect your pet has consumed chocolate – call the vet immediately.

Many sugar-free candies and gum contain xylitol, a low-calorie sugar substitute that is highly toxic to dogs. Xylitol can cause a steep drop in your dog’s blood sugar, leading to seizures, and can possibly put your dog into liver failure.

Stock up on extra treats for your pets so you can give them their own goodies.

Costumes Are Optional

Unless your pets are happy to wear a costume – don’t force them to wear one no matter how cute they look. If your pets do enjoy dressing up – make sure their costumes are pet-friendly and comfortable.

Keep Your Pets Away From The Door

Our furry friends can quickly become anxious with the constant sound of doorbells ringing and excitement from the trick or treaters. It’s best to keep them in a quiet place inside the home on Halloween so they don’t become frightened.

Pet ID’s

Opening the door repeatedly for trick-or-treaters creates the possibility for your pet to run off outside, especially if they are frightened by the noises and costumes. It’s a good idea to make sure your pets are wearing identification tags with a name and phone number so they can easily be identified if they do get spooked and run out the door.

Decorations Can Be Dangerous

Dog’s love to chew on things and electric cords are no exception. Halloween decorations with electrical wiring can be hazardous for your dog. Make sure to hide all the cords so they are out of reach.

With a bit of planning, you and your furry friends can have a safe and spooktacular Halloween.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous reading
Benefits of Having a Dog In Your Life
Next reading
How to Choose a Pet Boarding Kennel